DBT

For counsellors, youth workers, nurses, teachers and other proffesionals who encounter self-harm

DBT

Postby Sara » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:57 pm

Can anyone tell me about DBT Therapy. When I went to the last Psycharty Appoint she mentioned it but I don't know anything about it and am not keen.

Sara
Sara

Re: DBT

Postby Hash » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:07 pm

Hey Sara,

Someone passed me this Link a while ago it may help!

http://www.dbtselfhelp.com/html/what_is_dbt_.html

We talked a little about this at the weekend but DBT stands for Dalectical Behavioural Therapy and it was started by an American Lady called Marsha Linehan. It is based on learning skills such as mindfulness, distress tolerance, emotional regulation, and interpersonal effectiveness which is bascially relating to other people. DBT skills are often learnt in a group setting although some people do to DBT on a one on one basis or do both.

Not every local area does DBT I know for example that my area of Essex does not do it but that the Local Priory Hospital does at a large cost. I myself have actually applied to my GP to ask the local primary care trust to fund some DBT therapy for me as it is known to be the best treatment for BPD ( Borderline personality Disorder)

Hash
Hash

Postby Keziah » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:13 pm

Hi,
Hash has summed it up really well.

My old CPN was trained in DBT and did some work with me (he was just a nurse, not a psychologist) - I found the hardest thing was accepting it, that it could help, but once I listened to CPN and tried it I found it helped me. What I liked about it was there was no "talking" involved, but skills to learn and practise in everyday situations: such as how to ground yourself, reduce anxiety, sleep better.

Could you ask them what they would plan to do with you, why they think it would help and how long it would take? I was very negative too, as no diagnosis of BPD so didn't think it could help.
Keziah

Postby sally » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:21 pm

Hello Sara,

I just wanted to add a little more about DBT. It is the therapy I am in right now. CBT (cognitive - thoughts) really helped me, but I am still stuck with SH and ED behaviours. As Hash said, DBT was specifically designed for people with those behaviours.

I think it aims to help us learn different ways to manage how we feel or reduce the intensity of our response before trying to look at the problems that have led up to how I think and feel about myself and others. Some of it makes sense to me, I have SH less than when I started it, but it's still hard going at times ... and i'm not on the difficult stuff yet.

As Kezziah suggests, can you ask your therapist to tell you more about the possibilities for you?

Ask more if you want to,
Sally
sally

Postby Sara » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:29 pm

Thanks Guys for all your replies and info on DBT,

Kezzie, yes I will ask all those questions thanks for the ideas.

I suppose I was thinking that because I don't have BPD that it wasn't for me but it helpful to know that it can help those of us with SH and ED.

I will think about it. It may not happen in my area so not going to get to worried about it yet.

Went to Mulberry House at the weekend for the "Beyond Chaotic Eating" course run by Abbie and Helena. I found it really helpful and have come back a bit more positive about change.

Sara
Sara

Return to Counsellors