Posting Guidelines - Everyone please read!!!

For and about self harmers / people with other issues

Posting Guidelines - Everyone please read!!!

Postby Abbie » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:02 pm

Hi all,

It's come to my attention thanks to some of you very active and supportive posters that we don't have any guidelines for posting on here, and it might help if we clarified some of the warnings for some people. We did used to have a document like this, but I don't know where it went, so I'm writing again!

1 - please don't post any details of how you self-harm. This includes methods (eg cutting or burning) and places on your body (eg arms). Quite a lot of people find this triggering, and it normally doesn't really need to be shared for what you say to make sense. Please also don't share details of suicide attempts or plans - it's ok to share, but please keep away from talking about methods.

2 - more and more of our users are struggling with eating disorders, and we've decided to set a limit there too - basically, no numbers. This means weights, calories or body mass index. One thing we really don't want to encourage is competition!

3 - if it is necessary to your story for you to post specifics, we don't want to stop you using the forum as fully as you can. This is where putting a trig warning in the title line comes in, which looks like this: ***TRIG***. That way, all users can decide whether they are in a place at that moment where they can cope with reading it. If possible, please be specific about what is triggering, using initials or some other method eg SI/SH = self-injury/self-harm; SUI = suicide; SA/RA = sexual abuse/ritual abuse; ED = eating disorder.

4 - if the moderators feel that a trig notice needs adding or that a post needs editing for the wellbeing of other users, they will do so, but they will send you a private message to let you know why they've made that decision.

I really want you to know that this post is not directed to any specific users, it's just something that we, as moderators, used to be really strong on but are finding harder and harder to keep up with as the forum gets busier.

If you have any questions or concerns, please do email Adullam or pm me - I won't be upset if you don't agree with anything here, and I want these 'rules' to be fluid and help meet everyone's needs. Please do reply below if you want something added to this list that helps you feel safer.

Thanks for reading everyone, and thanks for how much you all support each other on this site - you are all stars!

Lots of love and big blessings,
Abbie.
Abbie

Return to Self Harmers