[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Forum - Adullam Ministries • View topic - For Eating Disorder Sufferers...

For Eating Disorder Sufferers...

For and about self harmers / people with other issues

For Eating Disorder Sufferers...

Postby Abbie » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:37 pm

I've noticed that a lot of people have been posting and talking about eating disorders as well as self-harm. This is not a problem at all! But I thought I would just respond by recommending a great book to you that has just been republished.

It's called Beyond Chaotic Eating, and it's by Helena Wilkinson. She's a Christian Counsellor who used to be anorexic and now does a lot of work with eating disorder sufferers from Nicholaston House in Swansea - I know some people from the forum have been there.

The book covers all the basic stuff around eating disorders, but also looks at things like managing your emtions, eating a balanced diet, and how to keep in contact with God through your struggles. I found it really helpful, and have gone back to it many times.

There is a link to Nicholaston House from our website, and also a link to Amazon - if you want to buy the book on line please do it through our website as we get a cut of the money and it helps keep us going!

Hope this helps,

A x
Abbie

Postby Eppie » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:10 pm

I'd recommend it as well... and one of my friends borrowed it and said it gave her a much clearer grasp of what was going on.
E x
Eppie

Postby Keziah » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:20 am

That is a really helpful suggestion.

Will log on tomorrow to buy - through you, to help finances.

Keziah
Keziah

Postby Abbie » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:07 am

Thank you!

A x
Abbie

Postby Keziah » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:07 am

The Amazon link works - should be with me soon!!!

Keziah
Keziah

Postby tearful » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:28 pm

i would definitely recommend it! i have been to nicholaston and they so know whatthey are talking about!
tearful

Postby tearful » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:41 pm

*TRIG*!!!!

hi abbie...as we are on the subject of e.d's i need to confess i have been suffering from bulimia for 7 years but have recently been lured to the pro anorexia/bulimia sites! i have scared myself how last week i was so strong and getting better and now i am shocked at how far i would be prepared to go!
tearful

Postby Eppie » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:46 pm

Hi Tearful,
Just a bit of encouragement not to give into the pro sites... if you've been to Nicholaston, as I have, you'll know that in the long run it's not worth giving in... it might meet a temporary need, but it won't meet your needs in the long term. Hang in there and see if you can find sth else to do instead... and hold onto the fact that life free of an ed will be soooo wonderful, and much better than the familiarity of the ed.
Don't give up!
E x
Eppie

Postby Eppie » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:49 pm

Hi Tearful,
Just a bit of encouragement not to give into the pro sites... if you've been to Nicholaston, as I have, you'll know that in the long run it's not worth giving in... it might meet a temporary need, but it won't meet your needs in the long term. Hang in there and see if you can find sth else to do instead... and hold onto the fact that life free of an ed will be soooo wonderful, and much better than the familiarity of the ed. I dont' know if it'll work for you, and dont' do it if there's any chance it'll make things worse, but I sometimes find that lookign at sites/articles that are not pro ed remind me how terrible it is and I get scared of how ill I could get if I let this get the better of me, and how I woudl lose the bit of freedom I have gained (even tho I still need to get more!) - that usually makes me eat sth ( i struggle with anorexic tendencies rather than bulimia)
Don't give up!
E x
Eppie

Postby tearful » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:51 am

thanks a lot mate!! i often need those reminders!! its jus hard to imagine life without it! im predominately bulimic but i will try that advice...after all i wanna be a Mum soon so the reminder of health implications would prob be helpful!
THANKS
tearful

Postby Eppie » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:25 pm

No worries. Sorry for slow reply...
how are you going? wanting to be a mum is an excellent deterrent i find! I sometimes find myself standing in the kitchen tempted not to eat properly and having to remind myself that if i want a baby, I have to eat my dinner! The only problem for me is that i'm still single, and so sometimes it seems a long way off yet. I'd love to be married, but no sign of that...!
E x
Eppie

Postby Keziah » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:32 pm

Tearful, what a great motivation - a child, to help you eat healthily.

Eppie, just cos single now, doesn't mean you will be forever - a friend of mine met someone and got engaged 3mths later!! As both about 30, they did not want to wait too long, as knew it was right - so will marry 13mths after meeting someone! So, need to keep healthy!

Keziah
Keziah

Postby Eppie » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:34 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Kezzie... very timely reminder to stay healthy as I had a really hard w/e. I'm not sure what's made me so down, which means it's a bit harder to know how to approach it to fight back, but I am definately feeling somewhat low.
A friend just called and managed to really cheer me up tho... so that's helped, and I am off out shortly.
How are you doing? Are you still feelign very low?
E x
Eppie

Postby Keziah » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:11 pm

Eppie,
Glad your friend cheered you up!

Like you, not sure what has made me so down recently, but at least I know I am down so can try and help myself now - if that makes sense?

Am sorry you had such a hard weekend. Maybe you can plan the next one so it might have something good in it, that is not so dificult for you? But then, sometimes even with good plans, it doesn't always work, I know.

Keep going,
love
Kezzie
Keziah

Postby Sophia » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:22 am

Sounds good. Was just looking on amazon. Is there a difference between that book and the 'puppet on a string' book. Which would you recommend to read? (Or which one first if they are both well worth reading!!)
Love Sophia
Sophia

Postby Abbie » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:15 am

Puppet on a String is Helena Wilkinson's own story, whereas Beyond Chaotic Eating is more about what an eating disorder is, how to look at the issues is raises, and how to recover. They are both good books - it depends on what you want to read. I always sussest Beyond Chaotic Eating as it opens some doors of though, and it can also help sufferers to explain things to their friends and family - who might also read the book. I really do think it's the best book out there about eating disorders from a Christian perspective.

Hope that helps!
Abs x
Abbie

don´t want to write this but...

Postby katamarang » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:32 pm

Um. Hi.

Everything inside me is telling me not to say this, but I think I have to. I think I may have a problem with eating. Or not eating. I´ve self harmed for a year, and been trying to deal with it for about 6 months. It is getting better, I thought I´d started to deal with some of the issues behind it all.

Until a few weeks ago, when I couldn´t eat properly. And now it´s been going on for almost a month that I just don´t want to eat. And I feel hideous when I do. And I don´t know what to do because a big part of me says it´s not a big deal because it´s hardly something I´ve suffered with for years so it doesn´t matter.

But I kind of think it does. And I don´t want to have to say to anyone because my family thinks I´m starting to get over all the crap. And it´s nearly Christmas and I´m going home (I´m living in Spain for the year) next week and I´m so scared because my Mum is sure to notice that I physically can´t eat much.

I´m sorry to spill out like this, I half wish someone would say that it´s not a big deal and I´m being stupid... but I just don´t know what else to do.
katamarang

Postby Eppie » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:14 am

Hi Katamarang,
I think it does matter hun. Cos the longer you leave it, the harder it will get to do anything about it.

Is there anything else going on physically that might be making you feel yuk and find it hard to eat? I only ask cos I had an eating disorder, but while I was getting better, it turned out I had an illness as well, and that accounted for some (tho not all!) of how bad I was feeling. and once I was on treatment it partially helped.
I'm sorry, cos I know from experience what a horrible and scary way it is to feel, and how it's even worse with other people's reactions.
Is there someone that you can talk to other than your family if it is hard to talk to them? it woudl be good to try and get some support for when you are back home.

Is there anything you particularly like to eat that you could ask your Mum to buy and that you'd find easier to eat than other things?

Let us know how you're getting on

E x

Is there anything else goin
Eppie

Postby katamarang » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:06 pm

Hi. Thanks Eppie. I know that it's so easy to deny something is a problem when it is. It's one of the things I really struggle with, that I feel like nothing I struggle with is worth struggling with. And sometimes no matter how much I tell myself that everyone else feels like that, I just can't believe it's true about me!

When I go home I'll be able to talk to my boyfriend properly about it, and he's always been wonderful at caring for me, and understanding me, and never being disappointed in me. I guess that I just worry about my mum's reaction. Even though my parents were loving when they found out I was harming, their reactions were hard to deal with because they didn't know how to deal with it.

In church this morning we sang as song with words to the effect of I have a hunger. A hunger that hurts, a hunger that weakens, a hunger that is desperate for Jesus And it hit me that maybe that's what this is about. I'm trying to fill holes inside me by desperately trying to cling to my own control. Which clearly is all over the place because I'm not in control of very much at all. But I need to turn to face Jesus and fill up the gaps with him before I'm ever going to be able to eat normally, or stop hurting myself.

I felt this morning that that was more real to me that it has been for a long long time. I am so grateful to God for speaking to me like that, I just have to pray and try to stay focussed on him. This week will be hard. I only live with one other person, so it's very easy to not eat normally. But I feel stronger now. So here's praying I can be strong in the Lord.

I don't know if any of this makes sense! I hope so! Thank you for your encouragement.
God bless.
xxx
katamarang

Postby Hash » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:31 pm

Hey Katamarang,

What help are you getting for your self harm?

I do understand your struggles hun as I have been through similar problems and had anorexia when I was seventeen. I think you are good to notice at this early stage you have a problem with eating as not many people recognise it untill it is to late. It may not be a full blown eating disorder but it does need to be dealt with before it gets to that stage.

Do you think your eating is getting bad cos you are trying to stop self harming perhaps? I know when I tried to stop self harming I stopped eating completely for a week at a time and it was rather worrying.

Are you dealing with the root causes of your self harm?

Do try to talk to your boyfriend about it and perhaps your mum. You could also talk to your GP if you think it would be helpful. Otherwise If you have profesional support talk to them.

You might want to check out the following:

http://www.something-fishy.org/

Hash
Hash

Next

Return to Self Harmers