Hi - new here

For and about self harmers / people with other issues

Hi - new here

Postby Princess » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:41 pm

Deleting
Last edited by Princess on Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Princess

Re: Hi - new here

Postby Eppie » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:20 pm

Hi Princess,
Welcome! Glad you found us, and thanks for posting.
We are a little bit quieter than sometimes, particularly maybe because it's the summer, so forgive us if responses are a little slower than usual, but please stick around.
I'm really sorry things are such a struggle for you. It sounds as if you have a good understanding of how you are doing and what's happening for you. Do you get any professional help?
I'm a fellow migraine sufferer so I know that can make life very very difficult.
Love Eppie x
Eppie

Postby Keziah » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:06 am

Hello and welcome.

I hope you find this a supportive place.

Although things are so hard from you I found what you out about trying to be kind to yourself really helpful. The other thing I have had to learn is to not feel guilt and shame ( eg by not being able to get to church) - as those negative emotions are draining.

Kezzie
Keziah

Postby Princess » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:06 am

Deleting
Last edited by Princess on Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Princess

Postby Hope » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:41 pm

Glad you have found this site - welcome from me too!

It sounds hard managing with all that going on. I was worried when my GP found out about my self-harm and I was scared I'd be labelled as an unfit mother, but they've been sensible about it and offered good support. Maybe I've been lucky with where I live and policies here, but when I got turned down for cbt because my difficulties were too big, they then offered me psychotherapy on the NHS. It was a long wait to access it, but it was worth it as it has helped hugely in understanding why I harmed myself. What you say makes sense that things are connected, we can't separate off parts of what is happening, your migraines and the OCD effects your self harm. I hope that if you do decide to talk about the self harm, you get good understanding and support.

Best wishes,

Hope
Last edited by Hope on Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hope

Postby Hash » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:28 pm

Princess,

Welcome to the site, I hope and pray you find us supportive and compassionate.

I can really relate to finding church difficult, I am afraid I don't go t the main service but instead go to small group once a week. I find small group more helpful than large church. Have you tried asking your church leaders to put you in a small group that would be sympathetic to your OCD and your self harming.

I am sorry you too feel like someone might take away your children if you were to get professional support. I think maybe children are only taken away from homes as a last resort and when things are very serious. I understand though how you can be worried about it.

Are you on any medication?

Have you heard of the Maudsley hospital? I was under them for an inpatient six month program for self harm and they do a similar program with government funding for OCD sufferers.

Hash
Hash

Postby sally » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:59 pm

Hello Princess,

how have you been feeling over the past few days? Sorry I've been slow to say welcome! I've been reading but not felt like I've got much to say, then my internet connection stopped working suddenly. Seems to have put itself right today so I've got onto the site quickly.

Were you offered CBT when you had previous treatment for the OCD? I think from your knowledge and insight into what is behind your different behaviours, that it would be a type of therapy that would really help you. It certainly moved me forwards cos it made sense to me in that way. I've seen for myself how I can use different harming behaviours / eating issues at various times so I can understand you saying you needed another outlet when you trying to limit the OCD compulsions.

Might there be one or two people in your church who you trust who you could arrange to meet with regularly for support and prayer? I meet with one couple who are part of our church leadership and have done for years since mental health issues first began and have found that really helpful and encouraging. I've been able to be honest about how things are and prayed with them about the different therapists I've been under at different stages and to keep God at the centre of my focus and hope for recovery. I wondered if that might be possible for you?

Well, welcome once again,
sally
sally

Postby Princess » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:05 pm

Deleting
Last edited by Princess on Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Princess

Postby sally » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:00 pm

Hello Princess,

sorry you have had another horrible migraine. You have done really well that during days of pressure you still managed not to harm. And it's really good that you are starting to recognise what is behind some of the things you feel, like eating when your blood sugar is low rather than responding in other ways.

Well done joining a church small group. I pray over time you will feel more comfortable and able to say more if you want to. Or you might find that easier one to one sometime with someone in that group initially. Its really great that your husband is so understanding and supportive, helping you challenge compulsions in the small manageable steps that it needs.

I dreaded seeing my GP when I was first getting ill so I wrote a letter to her first. That way, even if I cancelled, she would already have some idea how I was. I think it helped me to get there!

praying for you now, sally
sally

Postby Princess » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:59 am

deleting
Last edited by Princess on Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Princess

Postby Hash » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:39 pm

Not all anti depressants cause weight gain princess, there are many that don't .

I think telling your GP is a good next step to do for you. Writing it down sounds like a very good idea if you can't find the words.

Hang in there,

Hash
Hash

Postby Eppie » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:08 pm

Hello, sorry for being slow to reply... I've been away with poor internet access. Really sympathize about the migraine. I have had 3 in a week and it certainly lowers resistance to manage the rest of life. I am often very teary before and after, tho it's usually only afterwards that I realize the before hand feelings were likely migraine related. Doctors I've seen have been very sympathetic and unsurprised about accompanying depression. I really hope yours will be too when you talk to them and that perhaps they can offer support that isn't necessarily medication based. I put on weight with one of the migraine preventives I tried, so can really understand why you are reluctant to take medication where that might happen. Would you be able to share that fear with your gp? I did that and we agreed what would be an acceptable weight gain (even tho I found that hard too!) and he promised that we could review if it went above that and that he would help me loose it again. Just thinking that it would be helpful for the doctors to know exactly how you feel about it as they might be able to fimd a way to help around that, or as Hash says, maybe a non weight gain medication (that sounds interesting Hash, I didn't know about that).
Could a friend or your husband either come with you when you tell the gp, or you could agree to phone them afterwards... something to help you not to bottle out. Or see if you can book a longer appt so there is a bit more time to talk.
So glad your church are positive above helping and well done for talking to them. I know it's not easy.
Keep going...sounds as if you're doing all the right things.
E x
Eppie

Postby Princess » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:20 pm

Deleting
Last edited by Princess on Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Princess

Postby Hash » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:34 pm

Princess,

Whats your refferal for?

Is it for the migraines or the self harm?

Your husband must be really committed to you. Do you self harm in front of your children?

Hash
Hash

Postby Princess » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:20 pm

deleting
Last edited by Princess on Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Princess

Postby Keziah » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:37 pm

I hope that referral is helpful for you.

Yes I totally get the deal with family life despite struggles princess, I thinks many people so it! Hope your wait is not too long.
Keziah

Postby Hash » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:22 pm

Princess,

I hope you don't think I was in any wary criticising you the other day with my questions. If I tell you what happens with me when I self harm and my husband then maybe you might understand why I asked you the question. When I self harm now my husband gets a call from the police and he never comes home because we have learnt that self harm is my problem and I have to get treatment on my own. I go to A and E on my own and receive treatment on my own including talking to the psychiatric team. My husband really cares and he really worries but we've learnt that my self harm including overdosing never gets his attention. You have obviously discovered that its helpful to have your husband at home for you and helping you. my self harm did at one time occur every day so it was impossible for my husband to care for me every day.

It is great that you have a ref feral to the psychiatry team I wish you good luck with it and I hope they really help you.

With regards to the kids its good you are protecting them from it at the moment. THere may come a time you can't protect them for example if your bathing them and you've self harmed on your arms. It seems your quite at the early stages of your journey with self harm so if I can say anything just be careful it doesn't get worse so that you can't hide the scars. I really hope and pray you can be strong and maybe make your self harm a short term thing and a minor thing,

Hash
Hash

Postby Princess » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:10 am

Deleting
Last edited by Princess on Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Princess

Postby Hash » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:18 pm

Princess,

Your misunderstanding me but thats okay, You can choose what you want to say online. I wasn't saying what you were doing with your hubbie was wrong and I wasn't saying that you were attention seeking or that any self harm was mild.

Hash
Hash

Postby Princess » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:54 pm

Deleting
Princess

Return to Self Harmers