Update

For and about self harmers / people with other issues

Update

Postby Beautifully_Broken » Mon May 26, 2014 6:34 pm

Hello,

So I thought I'd drop you a wee update of where things are at the moment while I've got a bit of space to take a breath!

I have completed my first placement. I finished on Friday and was graded exceptional for 'professional values' and 'communication and interpersonal skills'. And very good for 'nursing practice and decision making' and 'leadership, management and team working'. For a first year on a her first hospital placement this is an amazing mark, so I am genuinely shocked and proud of myself.

It's been a tough placement and all round difficult time with a practical exam and essay to be written on top of placement, but I found out today I passed my essay as well as passing my practical exam.

I honestly have to say that this is not down to me at all. God has provided, guided and sustained me through the past 7 weeks. And He has not stopped! The past week and a half has been awful health wise. And I was actually sent home from placement one day. Today, I got a phone call asking me to go know to hospital, so I go in next week. I'm nervous and scared but relieved and fully trusting that God is holding me in His hands.

My next placement is due to start next week, but hospital is more important at this stage, so I will start placement the next week hopefully.

I am continuing to pray for you all, even although I've not been on here much.

Love, Ruth xx
With Jesus I can take it,
With Him I know I can stand,
No matter what may come my way,
My life is in your hands.

It's lonely when you don't even know yourself...
Beautifully_Broken

Re: Update

Postby Keziah » Mon May 26, 2014 10:53 pm

That is excellent news, well done! You should be so proud of those comments and marks especially with it being your first placement.
And having done so well and has such great support from the staff hopefully the other placements can work around your visits to hospital and health until your have some, hopefully, successful treatment.

How many more placements do you have to do to complete year 1?

Let us know how it goes in hospital. Do you know how long you should be in for?
Keziah

Postby sally » Tue May 27, 2014 12:54 pm

Ruth,
Congratulations! You should be really pleased with yourself for such good comments from this placement. Does that help all the struggles feel a bit more worthwhile? Well done in passing the essay and practical too. I like how you say thank you to God for His help.

We'll be praying for you for this hospital admission next week. Thank you for the update.

best wishes, Sally
sally

Postby Eppie » Fri May 30, 2014 6:33 am

Ruth! It's so nice to hear your news...just brilliant how well you have done with your placement and the exam. Huge well done! Specially doing it while battling illness.
Really hope next week goes smoothly and successfully for you. Let us know when you can . E x
Eppie

Postby Beautifully_Broken » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:46 pm

Hello,

I only have one more 7 week placement to complete and some essays and theory work to do, to finish first year.

My week in hospital has been positive. Had my surgery on Wednesday, it was supposed to be under general, but ended up being done under local. It was grim! I also had an MRI and an ophthalmology review. The surgery showed high pressure round my brain and my MRI showed abnormalities due to the increased pressure. Because of this, I am getting emergency shunt surgery on Monday afternoon. I'm out on pass for the weekend and I'm just going to take it easy.

Today has been a tough day, I got my 'bolt' out and had a lumbar puncture. I fainted during both, so I'm just going to sleep, but I thought you'd be interested in things. Thank you for your care and your prayers, they are so appreciated

Love, Ruth xx

Beautifully_Broken

Postby Hash » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:09 pm

will be praying for you on monday

glad the week generally went well

Hash
Hash

Postby Eppie » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:01 am

Thanks for the update. Praying for today. E x
Eppie

Postby Keziah » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:49 pm

Great news you nearly finished first year - almost there!

Hope surgery today has gone well. It sounds after that awful situation when they seemed to question whether there was a physical problem that they are now treating you. I really hope that this solves the problem for you.
Keziah

Postby Beautifully_Broken » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:36 am

Hey!

Just a very quick update from me. Monday's surgery went very well, so well that on Tuesday I was sent home, completely symptom free. Unfortunately, the bliss didn't last long and I was rushed back in to hospital on Wednesday via ambulance with a suspected haematoma or infection. Thankfully my CT scan came back clear so I'm just waiting for my bloods to come back. I have developed a low pressure headache (a common side effect of shunt surgery), which just means my brain is just taking a while to getting used to having normal fluid levels around it, rather than the extreme high pressures that I've had for the last 15 months. If I didn't have this low pressure headache I'd be feeling fantastic! So I think the surgery has been a success. It's just going to take a while to recover and get used to having a tube inside me!! My two surgery wounds are large but surprisingly not as painful as they look or I expected! The worst pain is the bruising which goes from my abdo wound to my spine wound. But I can live with it. I'm not spending a lot of time on my phone, I'm trying to sleep as much as I can. I'm keeping in touch with Hash and I'm sure if there's any major developments, she'll let you know what's happening!

Thanks for your prayers! They are so appreciated!

Love, Ruth x

Beautifully_Broken

Postby Keziah » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:07 pm

Thanks for your update so good to hear. Especially that this operation has worked so well. Sorry to hear about the infection and pain from the actual procedure.
Keziah

Postby sally » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:25 pm

Ruth,

its such good news that the operation has finally been done. How is the headache today? How long do they tend to continue post shunt surgery? I pray they ease soon. I'm so pleased you already feel so much better.

I really admire how you have managed to get back on with your nurses training despite all you have been suffering. So the end of the first year is now in sight! I'm praying that goes well,

Sally
sally

Postby Hash » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:03 pm

i did ask Ruthee to update you all on her progress but she is probably just sleeping as she is recovering.

Ruth is at home and she is fine now, no headache and doing really well.

She will need to rest and recuperate for the near future and then she will do some work for uni and her final placement.

Sleep easy ruthee,

Hash
Hash

Postby sally » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:28 pm

Thank you Hash for giving us that update.
Ruth, praying for you in your recovery.

Sally
sally

Postby Eppie » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:59 pm

Hope you are recovering well Ruth
love E x
Eppie

Postby Keziah » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:54 pm

Hi Ruth. Hope you managed to rest and recuperate from surgery well. Are you managing to start those final bits of Uni work, or have some holiday time perhaps?
Keziah

Postby Hash » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:41 pm

Ill try and remind ruth to check in on the board, she is really busy doing her placements and essays and stuff for first year before she starts second year.

Hash
Hash

Postby Hash » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:05 pm

Ruth's working days at the moment and I don't think she will get to the computer for a while as she is working so hard.

She still gets unwell from time to time, she fainted twice at work the other day and she is not really enjoying this placement.

She can't afford to stop her placement even if she is unwell because she needs the hours for her first year. Her first year is nearly over she is playing catch up.

I will try and get her to come on here soon.

Hash
Hash

Postby Keziah » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:47 pm

Gosh, had not realised so soon back on placement. Guess that is the nature of different placements, some will be good and others less so. Helps focus where want to work when qualify. Not good when ill. Hope these 7 weeks go quickly and year one finished soon!!
Keziah

Return to Self Harmers