Changing Faces

For and about self harmers / people with other issues

Changing Faces

Postby Keziah » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:34 pm

Just wondered if anyone used changing faces who have replaced Red Cross for free skin camoflage assessment? My one assessment with Red Cross resulted in a cream that was far too orange and I am tempted to get a gp referral for old scars - but with a month wait for gp appointment ( unless urgent which it is not!) and a 4-6 month wait I realise I will miss the summer!
Keziah

Re: Changing Faces

Postby sally » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:40 pm

Hi Kezziah,

I've not used either service. It's the same wait to see my GP too.

I guess tho that if you do go for an assessment with changing faces and end up with something that better matches your skin tone, at least you'll have it for another year! Or maybe for an Indian summer if we get one!!

Sorry, not very encouraging I know. Hope this does end up with something useful.

Sally
sally

Postby Keziah » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:06 pm

Well I have made an appointment now to print out all the details as they will only accept an online referral from a gp, as if gp got time to fill in all their boxes!!!! Tout if I filled as much in as possible and gave it to them it may help! If I feel up to asking.
Keziah

Postby sally » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:05 pm

Well done Kezzie,

I hope you do get a good response.

sally
sally

Postby Keziah » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:31 pm

Thanks apt with gp not til end of may as that is first free slot sonplentybof time to buildup courage .
Keziah

Postby Eppie » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:12 am

Well done for feeling up to asking. I hope it's a good response and.they are helpful. E x
Eppie

Postby Hash » Thu May 01, 2014 8:13 pm

The cream is quite expensive so your GP surgery may have to liase amongst the GP's to decide whether to prescribe it to you. Mine had to liase.

I went twice when it was Red Cross Doing it and I never used the cream as it was too much hassle to plaster it on.

Hash
Hash

Postby Keziah » Sat May 03, 2014 9:04 am

Oh ok. Well I could always ask for plastic surgery which I guess is much more costly than cream!! But seriously if they refuse then I may tell them the appointment costs nothing but a donation from me and if I get the right match then I think some makes I can buy myself - it is knowing how to get right colour that I am lost at. I thought about ordering the samples but so many different makes and not all had samples. How to apply it will help.
Keziah

Postby sally » Sat May 03, 2014 6:09 pm

Kezzie,

you are right saying that them making the referal doesn't commit the GP to anything.
I pray you don't have long to wait once you've seen the GP at the end of this month for that next appointment.

Hope you can slow down a bit with a longer w/e off work.

Sally
sally

Postby Keziah » Sun May 04, 2014 6:00 pm

Hi, well the referral is free But I imagine they will say no, and I certainly do not have a nice friendly helpful gp instead a new one on a one year contract who I have to wait 4 weeks to see, so cannot imagine anyone bothering to do anything to fund it. So I have cancelled the appointment - it is a 4 week wait to see a gp so may as well let someone else have it that is ill is my thinking.
Keziah

Postby Hash » Sun May 04, 2014 9:08 pm

Oh no Kezzie,

I am so so sorry if I made you cancel your appointment cos you gave up hope.

The cream is such a hassle to apply you would have to be really committed to camouflage yourself unless your harming is limited to a small area then no probs.

I would not give up all together I would maybe build up a rapport with the GP and ask again then. I only had to wait for the partners to second my prescription and I am sure because you are self harm free for so long they will definitely fund your prescription.

Also Changing Faces offer support and conferences for people who are disfigured significantly and that includes by self harm so if you wanted to attend one of their events or you wanted some emotional support to deal with your scarring they offer that.

Hash
Hash

Postby sally » Mon May 05, 2014 7:20 pm

Please re-book your appointment at the GPs.
You are entitled to that time with them and it can't hurt to ask.

sally
sally

Postby Hash » Sat May 10, 2014 8:55 pm

I second that!
Hash

Postby Frodosgirl » Mon May 19, 2014 10:20 pm

Hi Kezzie,

I don't have any information relating to creams to camouflage, however I am aware of a dressing that you can use to reduce scars to a small thin line, it is a silicone dressing that seems expensive at first but you can reuse it each evening. I have seen it work on patients with post op scars. You may miss this summer as it can take a few months to see results. Also please be careful if you google it, there are some triggering sites. If I can help at all please in box me
One more day.....
Frodosgirl

Postby Eppie » Fri May 30, 2014 6:38 am

Did you think about bthis anymore Kezzie? I was just thinking about it and wondering if you had met the new gp who is on the one year contract? If not I just wondered if it was worth rebooking the appt incase he or she turned out to be understanding and sympathetic and more than willing to support you with this. If not, then as tbeyvare only a one year contract ibwonder if you would have another option to try the next gp next year? E x
Eppie

Return to Self Harmers