NHS rant - blood tests!

For and about self harmers / people with other issues

NHS rant - blood tests!

Postby asc » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:00 pm

Big rant - azathioprine - requires weekly blood tests for a month, according to the literature and to my consultant. This is not my choice to make extra work for the surgery.

I've been told that I can have four tests beginning on the 12th - i.e. over two weeks after I start them. Right, I hope I will be one of the lucky ones, but I could not be.

The surgery has a responsibility to do blood tests demanded by the medication suppliers. At present only the phlebotomist is taking blood. She is fully booked and the practice nurses are too busy! Doctors haven't done it for ages. If I had three arms I'd do it myself! They are ringing me back after surgery. I have said that if they give me forms for the first two weeks I'll go over to the hospital - annoying, but I'll do it - as I had to a fortnight ago when the consultant sent me a form for an urgent blood test in order to get the results before I saw her.

By the way, at the rheumatology appointment last week, I had my MRI results - from 2010!
Ann www.annspoetry.weebly.com / www. annssmallpets.weebly.com
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness" 2 Corinthians 12v9
"You are God's masterpiece." Ephesians 2v10 God doesn't make junk!
asc

Re: NHS rant - blood tests!

Postby Hash » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:52 pm

That's rubbish!!

Looks like you'll be better off going up to the hospital.

I'n my gp surgery I've had all sorts take blood including the gp.

Hash
Hash

Postby asc » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:07 pm

All sorted. The hospital are sending me forms so I can go over there weekly through August, and I've arranged September at the surgery. I rang my consultant's secretary, but wonder what the average patient with less medical knowledge would have done. Also, the GP is expected to arrange tests nearly three weeks before she receives the letter saying what the patient is on!
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness" 2 Corinthians 12v9
asc

Postby sally » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:05 pm

Hello Ann,

well done sorting the blood tests.
My GP send their patients up to the local hospital as a norm, but I can imagine for you that arranging transport might make that a bit more of a hassle.

How have you been feeling?
Sally
sally

Postby asc » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:53 pm

Feeling pretty good apart from bowel problem. My first blood test was OK. The next ones are at the surgery. Fortunately, now the main hospital is on the old site it has acquired regular bus services, although my friend has taken me early for that and the Weil's disease test - negative!
asc

Return to Self Harmers