update and medication advice!

For and about self harmers / people with other issues

update and medication advice!

Postby littleone » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:51 pm

Hi guys
I haven't been around for quite a while, but I have been back now and then to catch up on posts and to pray for people. I've been debating for a few weeks whether or not to post but feel the time has come to! Things have been all go for me lately! I got engaged in June - VERY happy! Something I never thought would happen to me and not in the way everything has happened with my fiance! We're getting married in March 2013 which some days seems too long away and other days seems too close! Things on the surface couldn't be going better for me..I have more work coming in, I have an amazing fiance and future to look forward to, have been very blessed in the offer of renting a house at a cheaper rate, My daughter is growing up fast and continually makes me laugh! Things couldnt be better from the outside! My mood over the past 6months has been one rollercoaster! Things were stable for a long time, then all of a sudden from nowehere I hit a major low
littleone

Re: update and medication advice!

Postby littleone » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:05 pm

Oops clicked send before I was ready!
Things continued in darkness and hopelessness and slowly I had more good days with only a few bad days. Then I got engaged and things seemed to be more positive, I had more positive things in my future and gradually this brought me back to some sort of normality I guess. Over the past month or so things have been a lot more all over the place and after seeing a psychiatrist they changed my Current medication dosage and added in quetiapine, after two weeks on it I had to come off as the side effects we're too difficult to cope with and so then they suggested respiredone. Since stopping the qpine I feel more together and with it and more of a real person, i felt so empty and emotionless yet so angry on the qpine! My fear is that as the respiredone is part of the same family as the qpine that I will feel the same on it and I dont want to go back to feeling that way. Has anyone been on either and got any advice or experience? Also with the way I feel at the moment I just feel so fed up of being "drugged" up on medication for the past 3years that I just want to see what I'm like as a normal person, that maybe I might actually be ok withiut anything? When speaking to my cpn and gp about coming off my current medication at variius points they always have been reluctant to take me off of medication until I have been consistently stable and happy for 6months to a year,which I think is unreasonable because what normal person not on medication feels consistently like thst for thst lengrh of time?! Am thinking of jus t reducing the dosage slowly and See how I go.. i just feel so fed up of empty avenues and living life on medication, I just want to feel again, to be able to experience the emotions of prepsring to get married etc rather than numbness and just plodding along attitude..i duno!
X
littleone

Postby Keziah » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:31 pm

Hi - congratulations on your engagement, your wedding plans and your daughter being so lovely! (By the way I now have a 7mth old baby boy!!)

With medication I have had both quetiapaine and risperidone. Although the same family I found them very different in side effects and usage. I couldn't tolerate the quetiapaine either. However, at a low dose I found the risperidone a useful medication. Also they didn't keep me on it for months and months longer than needed, just over the lower and more difficult time (about 6mths in total - but not longer than need be). It is standard practice for psychiatrists to not change medication until someone is stable for 6mths however - so that is why they have told you that. As you have told them how difficult things have been for you, that will be why they have suggested another medication - to help. Did you talk about not taking risperidone and just staying on your antidepressant (or whatever you are on) but at a higher dose, or the same dose?

Bear in mind that however lovely it is to have a lovely fiance, planning a wedding is stressful so changing or stopping medication around a stressful, however positive, life event is perhaps not advisable.

what did you decide to do regarding your medication?
Keziah

Postby Keziah » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:34 pm

Bear in mind all cpn's and psychiatrists want - utimately - is for people to either be stable on medication at lowest dose possible or to be on none - and to be discharged from mental health teams.

Could you talk to your cpn about how you can be stable, and no longer need medicaiton or mental health services if that is your goal? Just coming off medicaiton , without them being aware can be difficult as the aim is for you to work with them. I agree that taking extra medication is one thing, but changing what has kept you ok without other things in place is different. It depends on diagnosis (if it is depression and you are no longer depressed then reducing and monitoring mood on reduction is one possible plan) - and why you were put on medication. My aim was to be "ok" - to consistently tell them I was ok and they then agreed after 6mths of being ok to reduce my medication. I did it over a year, which worked for me.
Keziah

Postby sally » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:41 pm

Hello littleone,

Congratulations on your engagement! That is wonderful news.

I can't advise about those meds cos not been on them myself but Kezzie is right about not coming off meds too quickly even tho things have been a bit more stable. There is lots of research about the dangers of doing that too soon so if the side effects from those ones are not too troublesome I'd agree about staying on them until your support team think it is time to reduce.

Your daughter sounds like she is giving you so much pleasure. You've done amazingly well bringing her up to be so happy even though you were struggling.

Sally
sally

Postby littleone » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:26 pm

Thanks guys for the replies :)

I decided to bite the bullet and take the risperidone! So far I don't feel quite as zonked as the qpine but we shall see how I go! The medication change was suggested after finally seeing a psychiatrist a few months back and they said to increase the venlafaxine that I'm on and see how I went on that and then if needed I could add in the quetiapine, which then when I said that I wasn't getting on with it was then changed to risperidone. Initially it was meant to be "saved" for prescribing once I had started therapy but typically therapy has been delayed by a few months and the setback meant a setback in my mood and so decided to start adding in the qpine. I have spoken to my cpn on a few occasions about not wanting to be on medication long term and my reluctance to add anymore medication into the mix etc but she suggested that adding in the qpine would be helpful as at the time I was an emotional wreck, anxious and crying when I spoke to people about anything! After not getting on with the qpine and explaining that actually now I feel a lot better and not so on edge she still suggested taking the risperidone to "tide me over" until I get therapy and then to get me through therapy. Although she said she sees it as a short term measure and didn't see me being on it past 6months really.

This week has been a mess due to my stupidity in reducing meds, and so I have now gone back to what I should be on! I keep telling myself that it's just likme any other illness and that I'm needing them due to a chemical imbalance and not because I'm crazy..but my head argues back hard! It's hard when the world we live in doesn't see it quite like an other illness.

You both made me think though and take hold of the fact that actually although I may think I should be this insanely happy person, in reality I am trying to juggle lots of things at once whilst trying to plan a wedding, which anyone would find stressful to some degree! So really this is just a part of life and a stage to go though and I will come out the other side, and even though it may not come across at times that I am happy, at least I know in my mind and heart that I am happy with the choices and the life I have. It's just the frustration in that I can't express or even at times allow myself to feel those emotions.

x
littleone

Postby Keziah » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:03 pm

Hi - I hope you have been able to get back to your usual level of medication, as changing venlaflaxine can affect you (I know having had it in the past!). I hope you get on with the risperidone. It is encouraging your cpn suggests 6mths on it. How long is your therapy due to last when it starts, as sometimes therapy can initally makes things difficult - and then ideally better, as issues etc can be resolved.
Keziah

Postby Hash » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:51 pm

Hey Littleone,

Have read through your posts in your thread and you sound like you have a lot bubbling away in your mind.

Congratulations on your engagement!!

Both planning for a wedding and starting therapy can be really stressful. If your managing to stay okay on the meds then I would stick with them for the moment but then saying that I am one who won't come off my medication for anything as I can't bear being an emotional mess.

It's exciting times with your future hubbie planning and preparing for the rest of your life together.

Hash
Hash

Postby asc » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:26 am

Congratulations on your engagement!

If you are now settling on your meds, it sounds as if it's worth sticking to them.
Ann www.annspoetry.weebly.com / www. annssmallpets.weebly.com
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness" 2 Corinthians 12v9
"You are God's masterpiece." Ephesians 2v10 God doesn't make junk!
asc

Postby Eppie » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:30 am

Hey LittleOne - wow, how exciting about your engagement. Congratulations!
I echo what the others have said, that big changes make life stressful, even if they are exciting changes, so I think it's normal to be stressed and up and down at times like that. I think sometimes it's hard to explain, because some people dont' quite understand that, and that's what can end up making us feel we have to be 100% happy all the time, when in reality that's not usually how life is.
E x
Eppie

Return to Self Harmers