Asperger's syndrome

Chat about anything that doesn't fit in elsewhere. Sport, TV, the weather...

Asperger's syndrome

Postby asc » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:15 am

I'm trying to find things out for a friend who has an AS child of 7.

I know some of you have, or have contact with AS children.

Have any of you had in-laws or other relatives who regard it all as a 'discipline' issue? If so how did/do you deal with them.

If your child retreats into a 'bubble of fear' following a crisis, how can you coax them to interact.
Ann www.annspoetry.weebly.com / www. annssmallpets.weebly.com
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness" 2 Corinthians 12v9
"You are God's masterpiece." Ephesians 2v10 God doesn't make junk!
asc

Re: Asperger's syndrome

Postby sally » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:19 am

I'm afraid I can't help you on that one!
Sal
sally

Postby Keziah » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:44 pm

Hi,
no family with Asperger's but I have worked with people with Asperger's syndrome. As it is a syndrome and people can be at different points on the spectrum, it is best to treat each child/adult individually. Some children with Asperger's can of course have behavioural problems, or even use the condition if they are high functioning and old enough to understand, which does complicate things.
Keziah

Postby asc » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:48 pm

Mark is 7 and is having major problems at school - and also struggles with his father's panic attacks
Ann www.annspoetry.weebly.com / www. annssmallpets.weebly.com
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness" 2 Corinthians 12v9
"You are God's masterpiece." Ephesians 2v10 God doesn't make junk!
asc

Postby Keziah » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:32 pm

Schools are not always set up to help children with Aspergers sadly, so it might be worth while for them to set up a meeting with SENCO, class teacher and review his care, provision, IEP etc and see if additional support would help or ensuring any support given is actually helpful (and not a teacher helping all students or not trained to help Aspergers children which is sadly often the case). Educational psychologists could help with his emotional difficulties, or even family counselling perhaps?
Keziah

Postby mermaidzen » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:56 pm

Hi James as aspergers so understand the problems. MIL use to say it was just discipline. There are a lot of good books on ASD that can help the older generation understand it as Autism wasn't really know about as much 20 years ago. As to the bubble of fear for all children with ASD routine is the key they don't cope well with change. I have visual timetables up to help both my boys and use a lot of visual things. Also social stories can help with understanding emotions as that is another hard area as they don't understand them and find reading body language hard which means when his dad is having a panic attack he doesn't understand it or why it is happening so a social story about it and what he can do to help it feel safe might help.
Hope that all helps.
Zen

Remember God loves you :) I know he loves me as well and has a plan for me :) just wish he would hurry up with it as I can't take much more of this pain :(
mermaidzen

Return to Chit Chat