Vegetarian Recipe Ideas for you Asc

Chat about anything that doesn't fit in elsewhere. Sport, TV, the weather...

Vegetarian Recipe Ideas for you Asc

Postby Keziah » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:21 pm

Hi,
thought would start new thread for recipes that are vegetarian and healthy (ie on Slimming World are free - ie no points or whatever). Also full of nutrition. Will start with 2 - they may look like they have lots of herbs/spices/bits - if you don't have it leave it out!! When I cook veg food I get everything out before I start - so much simpler I discovered. I batch bake - and freeze individual portions so it makes life easy many nights.

Chickpea curry

1 onion
2 carrots
3 garlic cloves
400g can chickpeas
Fry Light or oil
A pinch of chilli powder
1 tsp ground ginger
A pinch of salt
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground turmeric
Juice of 2 lemons
400g can chopped tomatoes
2 tsp artificial sweetener or sugar
Boiled rice to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 190˚C/Gas 5. Prepare the ingredients; chop the onion and carrots; crush the garlic; drain the chickpeas.
2. Fry the onion in a little Fry Light or oil until golden. Transfer to a casserole dish, add all the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Cover the dish, place in the oven and cook for 1 hour.
3. Divide the curry between four warmed plates or freeze 3 portions! Serve with boiled rice.
Keziah

Re: Vegetarian Recipe Ideas for you Asc

Postby Keziah » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:27 pm

LENTIL BOLOGNESE SAUCE 2-3 Helpings

You can make half the quantity for this recipe, but it is just as easy to make enough for two helpings : use half with pasta today and keep the rest in the fridge to serve poured over a jacket potato tomorrow, or freeze one portion in a container for future use.
Preparation and cooking time : 30 minutes
plus 45 minutes (dried green lentils)
or plus 20 minutes (dried red lentils)

4oz / just over 1/2 a cup dried green or red lentils or 1 x 14oz / 397 can lentils (or guess!)
1 onion
1 clove garlic or 1/4 tsp ground garlic
2 sticks celery
1 small carrot
1 small can (7oz / 230g) tomatoes or 3-4 fresh tomatoes
1 tlbsp oil for frying
1 tblsp tomato puree or tomato ketchup
Salt, Pepper
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
1/2 tsp vegetable extract
1-2 cups / 1/4 1/2 pt / 142-284 ml water (save lentil water if cooking dried lentils or save liquid form can of lentils)

Wash the dried lentils well - no need to soak - then cook in boiling water (no salt) for 45 minutes if you are using green lentils or 20 minutes if you are using red lentils. Drain lentils and save water to use in the sauce. ( I prefer red lentils)
Peel and chop the onion and fresh garlic if used. Wash and chop celery finely. Peel and grate or finely chop carrot. Chop tomatoes (use juice as well).
Heat oil in saucepan over a moderate heat and fry onion, celery and garlic gently for 5 minutes until softened.
Add carrot, cooked or canned lentils, tomatoes, tomato puree or ketchup, salt, pepper, sugar, herbs, and vegetable extract. Then stir in 1-2 cups of water (you will need most water if you are using fresh tomatoes to make a runny sauce. Bring to the boil over a low heat, stirring occasionally. Then simmer for 10-15 minutes, adding a little more liquid if it seems too stiff, until you have a nice thick sauce.

Variations: I often add canned butter beans and or canned red kidney beans to give more nutrients and to bulk it out.
Keziah

Postby sally » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:03 pm

Thank you Kezzie,
think I might try the bolognaise one too.

I make a vegi curry but I cheat by using a ready made sauce. I buy the sauces from a company called Sauces of Choice or saucesofchoice.co.uk Their sauces are very healthy - low fat, low salt, don't add sugar, wheat free and dairy free. They do quite a variety so have a look online if you fancy.
I use butter beans and black eyed beans, onions, carrots, cauliflower, marrow (or peeled courgettes) mushrooms and any other veg I want to try.

I have a slow cooker so chuck things in and leave them for a few hours, but I'm sure would casserole fine for 1 1/2 hours. I buy tinned butter beans and boil up the beans. I use the madras sauce, but you could make it as spicy as you want.

I know they do a creamy peppercorn sauce and some not spicy at all.
A vague recipe I know, not like the helpful details that Kezzie has written, but could try to do better if anyone wanted something more specific.

Sally
sally

Postby Keziah » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:30 pm

Oh that sauce company sounds good Sally. Your recipe sounds good and simple to follow... the only reason mine are typed up is lots of people asked me for lentil bolognaise one and it was just easier to type. It is my favourite recipe and actually very cheap - I buy dried red lentils, tinned butter beans/kidney beans, the veg is stuff I have in all the time (onions, carrots etc) and the marmite, tinned tomatoes etc is general store cupboard ingredients. Hope you like it too Sally. I did it once with green lentils but didn't like it as much.

I have been vegetarian since I was 13 and my hubby eats meat quite often - so my freezer is my best friend. A slow cooker sounds interesting though.

I have 2 main recipes - lentil bolognaise and lemon cake!!! :lol:
Keziah

Postby asc » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:57 am

Thank you.
Ann www.annspoetry.weebly.com / www. annssmallpets.weebly.com
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness" 2 Corinthians 12v9
"You are God's masterpiece." Ephesians 2v10 God doesn't make junk!
asc

Return to Chit Chat