Not around - stroke

Chat about anything that doesn't fit in elsewhere. Sport, TV, the weather...

Not around - stroke

Postby Keziah » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:58 pm

Hi,
sorry not been around - quick summary as typing 1:
collapsed, saw gp
ambulance called
into resus
into hdu
into acute stroke ward

- scary time .... suspected stroke, lost sight, left side loss.

good news is excelleny nhs treatent . Noy stroke but similar - bit confused there!! Sight and speech back. days of intensive ot and physio. can stand and wobble around now. left arm can lift up, sensations back.

Home!!!
Keziah

Re: Not around - stroke

Postby asc » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:40 pm

I'm so sorry, but glad you are making a good recovery. It was probably what they called a TIA or transient ischaemic attack - our Salvatio Army officer had one - she's fine now. I wonder if it was related to all the medication you had in the last few months?

Praying for you.
Ann xx
Ann www.annspoetry.weebly.com / www. annssmallpets.weebly.com
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness" 2 Corinthians 12v9
"You are God's masterpiece." Ephesians 2v10 God doesn't make junk!
asc

Postby Keziah » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:46 pm

Hi, they did tell me it was a neurological problem like a stroke but not a TIA - if a stroke is a hardware problem this was a software problem. See stroke consultant in 6 weeks so know more then.

Bit wobblier than thought - fallen twice now, feel like a toddler!
Keziah

Postby littleone » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:12 pm

Glad you had good care :)
Hope you start to find your balance again soon xx
littleone

Postby Keziah » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:37 pm

Thanks - am waiting for some physio or Ot support at home, didn't realise had to go to gp for it as only gp's sort, not hospital. Being Easter doubt it will be forthcoming soon - and I am desperate to go back to work after Easter!!
Keziah

Postby sally » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:06 pm

Kezzie,

sorry to hear about what you are going through, along with the emotions of miscarriage as well and all that has meant.

Sorry you are wobbly still now. I pray the physio and OT stuff goes through as quickly as possible. Did the physio in the hospital leave you with some exercises you could be doing in the meantime?

I'm thinking of you lots and praying,
Sally
sally

Postby Keziah » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:33 pm

Hi Sally,
the physio did hospital specific ones - which needed one or two physios to do with me! I do have some for getting sensation back from the OT that I am using. My Gp has been a star (though not the triage dr who said "what do you expect me to do on a friday afternoon?" when we asked for help!! And to see my Gp is a 3 week wait... eventually through my hubby breaking down in tears - he never cries! - the receptionist gave us an apt with my Gp!) and said they should not have discharged me without referral on, and not his job to sort... but he has got me an emergency assessment for Thursday. I can't walk far - so this lovely weather am housebound. In fact the triage Gp (normal gp who you see the day you need to if urgent) said "stay in bed, take diazepam) - uh, not need diazepam, but the ability to be safe on my own or to get out or to recover!!

Thanks - yes, this is stressful. This is my easter holiday so was so frustrated can't do anything out - not in garden or walk anywhere! Borrowed some dvd's from someone from church to relieve boredom and doing lots of arm and finger exercises by typing lots very slowly!!

Do you think there is anything else I can do? Gp said I am not physically safe to work as I can't walk properly - arggghhh. Got till May 3rd to walk then!!!
Keziah

Postby sally » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:08 pm

and haven't you done well typing what you have.
I don't really have suggestions for exercises. Is the wobbliness cos muscles give way or a balance issue. Is barefoot better for lots of sensory feedback from your feet for balance?

Any physios on here. CW may be able to suggest some ideas as an OT but probably hard without an assessment.

Good idea borrowing DVDs. Any friends local who can call in for a cuppa?

Feeling your frustration and determination to get going as quickly as you can,
love from sally
sally

Postby Keziah » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:33 pm

Hi, awaiting community physio to see me to see if am safe in house (um, uh!!) - but in meantime gp got me an emergency physio at a local gp's that has some nhs physio's and in that half an hour session I learnt how to sit up safely and got given an elbow crutch so not damaging my good side by dragging my foot! So more stable now :lol: And she will see me next week for 30mins to teach me more exercises whilst we wait for the community physio's to not be on holiday etc.

so have in laws visiting, and now can at least hobble from car to a seat somewhere while they go and do things with hubby!! And am thankful that my left hand getting stronger, but i keep dropping things - so big washing pile, that I hope my m-in-law will iron for me as ironing one-handed and sat down is not yet my forte!!
Keziah

Postby asc » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:15 pm

I'm sorry things are still so difficult. Praying for you.

xx
Ann
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness" 2 Corinthians 12v9
asc

Postby Keziah » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:45 pm

Sally - yes you are right, barefoot is much better - wouldn't have thought of that!
Keziah

Postby sally » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:29 pm

Hi Kezzie,

I've been thinking of you lots wobbling around. I am glad you can get a bit further with the elbow crutch - and bare feet.
Hope the GP physio is really helpful too,

Sally
sally

Postby Keziah » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:04 pm

Well I have been very good and doing my exercises!

Mobility a bit better as I had my 2nd osteopath sessiion today (private - had 13 sessions of physio from car insurance before this) to find out the car accident in winter displaced my left shoulder.... so am even more balanced now, albeit sore! Making myself use left arm and hand a lot which is helping lots. Sunshine helped as didn't want to be inside - but it is so cold today!!
Keziah

Postby Eppie » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:26 am

Hi Kezzie
How are you doing at the end of this week? Sorry I'd somehow missed all the updates on this thread, so just catching up
E x
Eppie

Postby Keziah » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:37 pm

Hi Eppie - well have got my hubby to take me out and about a bit. Had one day with a wheelchair so could not be confined to what I could walk to - that was an experience! Feel so young to have to use a crutch, or say "stroke" - it is not something people in their 30's tend to even think of.

Been signed back to work with a note that says: restricted duties, reduce standing. Uh, does my gp know what I do?!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (um, yes!) - so know I can't do 3 days in a row of 8hrs, with only lunch break. There are only 2 things I can be taken off which save me 5 mins a day and one 25 mins slot of work in my 4 day a week job. So Tue is going to be interesting - but have to have 1hr off at end of day for physiotherapy community assessment as where I had some short support were not meant to see me. So may have a 4 week gap with no physio help now as there is a waiting list and as I learnt from hospital discharging me so quickly, my brain is ok, I can talk and I don't live alone so I will not be at the top of the waiting list! Most uneconomic, as my work has to pay me full pay plus someone else to do my job ..... as can't see me passing work's health and safety check (ie turn up with a crutch and can't walk the 66 steps to where I work and there is no lift!!!) but turn up to work I will :lol: :lol: :lol:
Keziah

Postby Eppie » Sun May 01, 2011 9:44 am

sounding really challenging for you. So do you think work are going to say you can't work? E x
Eppie

Postby Keziah » Sun May 01, 2011 6:40 pm

I have no idea.... I can work but not full days as I can't stand for too long, and sitting on plastic bucket chairs uses too many stomach muscles I have found! So will go in Tuesday, see what happens. Also can't wear "work shoes" as need flat shoes that are supportive and stay on, which makes what to wear for work impossible. My shoes I need to wear only go with casual clothes..... arghhh.
Keziah

Postby asc » Sun May 01, 2011 10:08 pm

Praying for you as you sort out the work issues. What work do you do?
asc

Postby Keziah » Tue May 03, 2011 5:13 pm

Well good news is that I have now got community physio support, who were very happy at how much of the physio I got in hospital I had continued! But less happy that they want me to have a shower chair and perching stool for the kitchen (I put a garden chair in the shower on top of a towel, thought it was good initiative!). So 4 weeks to learn how to walk properly. Got lots of leg and stomach exercises - just need to persuade myself it is like having a personal trainer!

On less good note Mum has had a heart attack and so been with her in hospital.
Keziah

Postby asc » Tue May 03, 2011 10:04 pm

Well done for persevering with the physio. You won't always need the other things, but it's better to have them for now. I had to have several things with my operations.

I hope progress continues well.

I'm so sorry about your Mum and hope all goes well and she is soon home.

xx
Ann
asc

Next

Return to Chit Chat